Current:Home > MyMeta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund -RiskRadar
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-07 06:25:51
NEW YORK (AP) — Meta, the parent company of Facebook and Instagram, said it has donated $1 million to President-elect Donald Trump’s inauguration fund.
The donation comes just weeks after Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg met with Trumpprivately at Mar-a-Lago. A Meta spokesperson confirmed the offering Thursday. The news was first reported by The Wall Street Journal.
Stephen Miller, who has been appointed deputy chief of staff for Trump’s second term, has said that Zuckerberg, like other business leaders, wants to support Trump’s economic plans. The tech CEO has been seeking to change his company’s perception on the right following a rocky relationship with Trump.
Trump was kicked off Facebook following the Jan. 6, 2021 attack on the U.S. Capitol. The company restored his account in early 2023.
During the 2024 campaign, Zuckerberg did not endorse a candidate for president but has voiced a more positive stance toward Trump. Earlier this year, he praised Trump’s response to his first assassination attempt.
Still, Trump had continued to attack Zuckerberg publicly during the campaign. In July, he posted a message on his own social network Truth Social threatening to send election fraudsters to prison in part by citing a nickname he used for the Meta CEO. “ZUCKERBUCKS, be careful!” Trump wrote.
Corporations have traditionally made up a large share of donors to presidential inaugurals, with an exception in 2009, when then-President-elect Barack Obama refused to accept corporate donations. He reversed course for his second inaugural in 2013.
Facebook did not donate to either Biden’s 2021 inaugural or Trump’s 2017 inaugural.
Google donated $285,000 each to Trump first inaugural and Biden’s inaugural, according to Federal Election Commission records. Inaugural committees are required to disclose the source of their fundraising, but not how they spend the money. Microsoft gave $1 million to Obama’s second inaugural, but only $500,000 to Trump in 2017 and Biden in 2021.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (7621)
Related
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- MSNBC’s Mehdi Hasan quits rather than accept demotion at news network
- Snow, flooding, tornadoes: Storm systems bringing severe weather to US: Updates
- Congress returns from holidays facing battles over spending, foreign aid and immigration
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- A look at recent crashes and safety problems involving Boeing planes
- North Carolina insurance industry proposes average 42% homeowner premium increase
- Jim Harbaugh delivers a national title. Corum scores 2 TDs, Michigan overpowers Washington 34-13
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- JetBlue’s CEO is stepping down, and he’ll be replaced by the first woman to lead a big US airline
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Madewell Added These Bestsellers to Their Sale-On-Sale & I’m Building My Winter Capsule Wardrobe Now
- At trial, a Russian billionaire blames Sotheby’s for losing millions on art by Picasso, da Vinci
- Iowa students to stage walkout to state capitol in wake of school shooting: 'Need to utilize this energy'
- 'Most Whopper
- Veteran actress Jodie Foster: I have managed to survive, and survive intact, and that was no small feat
- Oscar Pistorius released on parole after serving almost 9 years for killing girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp
- Golden Globe-nominated Taylor Swift appears to skip Chiefs game with Travis Kelce ruled out
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
NFL mock draft 2024: J.J. McCarthy among four QBs to be first-round picks
South Korea’s parliament endorses landmark legislation outlawing dog meat consumption
Michigan QB J.J. McCarthy gets pregame meditation in before CFP championship against Washington
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
Parents of Iowa teen who killed 1 and wounded 7 in shooting say they had ‘no inkling’ of his plan
Roofers find baby’s body in trash bin outside South Florida apartment complex
A Mississippi university proposes dropping ‘Women’ from its name after decades of also enrolling men