Current:Home > reviewsUSWNT received greatest amount of online abuse during 2023 World Cup, per FIFA report -RiskRadar
USWNT received greatest amount of online abuse during 2023 World Cup, per FIFA report
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-07 04:59:16
The United States women's national soccer team was the team that received the most online abuse during the 2023 World Cup, FIFA and FIFPRO reported in their Social Media Protection Service analysis released on Monday.
The report found that the USWNT, who was playing for a third straight title, was the recipient of the greatest amount of harmful content with nearly 4,000 verified abusive posts or comments directed at them. The abuse was primarily politically motivated. The number of hurtful posts reached a peak on Aug. 6 when the USWNT was eliminated from the World Cup in the Round of 16.
"The profile of the USA squad (coming into the tournament as winners of the previous two tournaments), made them a target for online abuse," the report said. "This was heightened by the perception of players not singing the National Anthem being called out as unpatriotic and anti-American."
A majority of the USWNT squad did not sing the "Star-Spangled Banner" throughout the World Cup.
This summer's World Cup was the final time Megan Rapinoe appeared in the tournament. She was among the first athletes to kneel during the national anthem in 2016 as a show of solidarity with former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick and the fight for racial justice.
NFL STATS CENTRAL: The latest NFL scores, schedules, odds, stats and more.
The report noted that two unnamed players received the most abuse online. The Washington Post said that the players are Rapinoe and Argentina's Yamila Rodríguez.
The Social Media Protection Service report analyzed 5.1 million social media posts across Facebook, X (formerly Twitter), Instagram, TikTok and YouTube. The service monitored the social media accounts of the players, coaches, teams and tournament and 103,000 posts and comments were flagged by the service's artificial intelligence program as harmful and reviewed by a human committee. More than 7,000 of those posts were reported to the respective social media platforms as abusive. Homophobic content made up 20.4 percent and sexist content made up 13.7 percent of the posts and comments found.
The players in the 2023 World Cup were 29 percent more likely to be targets of online abuse than last year's men's tournament.
FIFA's Social Media Protection Service was established in 2022 to prevent online abuse and monitor social media activity. The project has been implemented for eight FIFA tournaments, including the men's World Cup last year.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Return of the crab twins
- Trademark tiff over 'Taco Tuesday' ends. Taco Bell is giving away free tacos to celebrate.
- FACT FOCUS: Zoom says it isn’t training AI on calls without consent. But other data is fair game
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Wild mushrooms suspected of killing 3 who ate a family lunch together in Australia
- Energy bills soar as people try to survive the heat. What's being done?
- Electric bus maker Proterra files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- More than 40,000 Americans are genetically related to 27 enslaved people excavated from Maryland
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Burger King's crispy chicken sandwich was so popular, it's now a wrap
- Unsafe levels of likely cancer-causer found in underground launch centers on Montana nuclear missile base
- Barbie global ticket sales reach $1 billion in historic first for women directors
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Logan Paul to fight Dillon Danis in his first boxing match since Floyd Mayweather bout
- 'Kokomo City' is an urgent portrait of Black trans lives
- Lawsuit filed after facial recognition tech causes wrongful arrest of pregnant woman
Recommendation
Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
Commanders coach Ron Rivera: Some players 'concerned' about Eric Bieniemy's intensity
Nevada governor seeks to use coronavirus federal funds for waning private school scholarships
University of Michigan threatens jobs of striking graduate instructors
Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
3 years and 300 miles later, Texas family reunited with lost dog
Feds investigating power steering issue on older Ram 1500 pickups
Nevada governor seeks to use coronavirus federal funds for waning private school scholarships