Current:Home > ContactRekubit-Down to the wire. California US House election could end in improbable tie vote for second place -RiskRadar
Rekubit-Down to the wire. California US House election could end in improbable tie vote for second place
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 01:36:23
SAN JOSE,Rekubit Calif. (AP) — A U.S. House race in California appears headed for a mathematically improbable result – after more than 180,000 votes were cast, a tie for second place.
If the numbers hold, that means that the state’s “top two” election system would have to make room for a third candidate on the November ballot, an apparent first for a House race in the state.
“This is a fantastically unlikely outcome,” said Paul Mitchell of Political Data Inc., a research firm that closely tracks voting trends.
Eleven candidates were on the ballot in the heavily Democratic 16th District in the March 5 primary, south of San Francisco, a seat being vacated by retiring Democratic Rep. Anna Eshoo. Under California rules, all candidates appear on the same primary ballot but only the two with the most votes advance to the general election, regardless of political party.
The top spot was claimed by former San Jose mayor Sam Liccardo, a Democrat, according to unofficial results that indicated all votes had been tallied. Two other Democrats were deadlocked for the second spot, with 30,249 votes each — state Assembly member Evan Low and Santa Clara County Supervisor Joe Simitian.
Secretary of State Shirley Weber, who oversees elections, has until April 12 to certify the results.
With three Democrats potentially headed for November, the contest will not play into control of the narrowly divided House, which will be decided in swing districts being contested by Democrats and Republicans around the country.
The tallies for Low and Simitian seesawed in recent days before settling into a tie on Wednesday — “It’s a special ‘Tie’ day!” Low tweeted at the time, sporting a brightly colored necktie in a photo.
The race also is a reminder of the state’s agonizingly slow vote counting — in this case, the outcome remains in doubt weeks after election day. The cost of a recount must be paid by whoever requests it, and with a cost likely to rise over $300,000 for a second count, it seems unlikely from any of the campaigns.
A three-way contest in November, with a different electorate coming to the polls, would reshuffle the dynamics of the race — “a total reset,” Mitchell noted.
“It’s really, really, really unlikely this would happen,” he said.
____
Associated Press writer Michael Blood contributed to this report from Los Angeles.
veryGood! (24682)
Related
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Danielle Brooks on 'emotional' reunion with classmate Corey Hawkins in 'The Color Purple'
- Maui’s mayor says Lahaina debris site will be used temporarily until a permanent spot is found
- 2 men appear in court on murder charges in shooting of Oakland police officer at marijuana business
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Fight at Philadelphia train station ends with man being fatally struck by train
- Fight at Philadelphia train station ends with man being fatally struck by train
- New York governor promises a floating pool in city waterways, reviving a long-stalled urban venture
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Time running out for landmark old boat that became a California social media star
Ranking
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- The Excerpt podcast: Orcas are sinking boats. What gives?
- How Gypsy Rose Blanchard Feels About Ex Nicholas Godejohn Amid His Life in Prison Sentence
- 61-year-old with schizophrenia still missing three weeks after St. Louis nursing home shut down
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- 100 New Jersey firefighters battle blaze at former Singer sewing machine factory
- Azerbaijan names a former oil exec to lead climate talks. Activists have concerns
- David Soul, the actor who portrayed the blond half of TV’s ‘Starsky and Hutch,’ dies at 80
Recommendation
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
Labor market finishes 2023 on a high note, adding 216,000 jobs
Strength vs. strength for CFP title: Michigan’s stingy pass D faces Washington QB Michael Penix Jr.
Labor market finishes 2023 on a high note, adding 216,000 jobs
Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
'Memory': Jessica Chastain didn't want to make a 'Hollywood cupcake movie about dementia'
After 16-year restoration, Greece unveils palace where Alexander the Great became king
PepsiCo products are being pulled from some Carrefour grocery stores in Europe over price hikes